1. If you could offer one bit of advice to your past self when you were getting into the hobby, what would it be?
Don’t open a credit card so you can buy just one doll. It becomes too tempting to use it for other things and being in debt SUCKS. ;o;
2. How do you go about picking out dolls? Do you approach it from a collectors perspective? Buy for characters? Grab the pretty ones?
I’m a sucker for centaurs and fantasy dolls in general. I like Tiny sizes best, but I have a few Minis as well. I grab the ones I like! But I do try to make sure they fit into my established world I have built around my dolls.
3. What is the purchase you are the most happy you made? Which do you regret the most?
I’m really happy with all of my purchases! But I’m extra happy that I managed to get a Luts Tiny Delf Centaur. I bought WAY too many dolls last year, but I honestly don’t have any regrets. I love my dolls so much.
4. If you could own any doll [not from a company but from someone you’re a fan of] whose doll would it be? Why?
I would steal my friend’s SOOM Bix because he’s the cutest. ;3; However, I couldn’t keep him because my friend would be sad and he’s WAY too big for me. But I wouldn’t mind him hanging out with me sometimes.
5. Do you have any other hobbies? If so how have they been affected by your entering into the BJD hobby?
Hmmm.. I’m an artist, but that’s my livelihood so it’s not a hobby. I guess outdoor activities? I love hiking, swimming, boating, camping, etc. Sometimes I take my dolls along for photoshoots.
6. Do you have any pets? Do you trust them around your dolls?
I have two cats, a snake, and a frog. The snake and frog are a non-issue as they live in terrariums. I don’t let my cats near my dolls. I keep my dolls in a curio cabinet at home and the rest of my collection is at my studio which is outside of my home and thus away from the cats. One of my cats likes to chew on plastic so there’s no way I’m risking her health leaving my dolls laying around!
7. Do you do anything creative involving your dolls? [Sewing, photography, faceups, etc.]
Face-ups and photos! :D I sew a little bit, too. I also have an elaborate storyline going on in my head involving my doll characters that I might turn into a comic someday.
8. When did you first discover BJDs? How long was it between the time you found them and the time you got your first doll?
I got into BJDs and bought my first doll in 2003. I collected a couple more dolls between then and 2007 and then left the hobby for a few years. I got back into BJDs in 2010 and it’s been in full swing ever since.
9. Do you take part in the BJD community on a local or global scale? Do you prefer to keep it between close friends, enjoy it by yourself or chat with the whole community?
All three! I participate a bit on the DOA forums, my two best friend are into BJDs and we have regular doll meets, and I enjoy my dolls by myself everyday. :D
10. What’s your long term plans for the hobby? Where do you see yourself in five years?
I’m getting married this year and planning to have a baby soon. So I’m sure BJDs will take a back seat for awhile. But I don’t see myself selling my dolls or leaving the hobby. It brings me so much joy and I know I will need that escape while raising a young family!